Here we’ve made our version of Otak Otak and it’s super easy to make!
Try this recipe for yourself and let us know what you think!
Click Here to try our Salmon Teriyaki recipe!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 10 Pieces
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Intermidiate
- Cuisine: Asian
For wrapping [to be cut in advance]
10 pieces of banana leaves, each about 18 x 20 cm
10 toothpicks with pointed ends
For the custard paste
500g of Fresh Fish Meat, Ikan Kurau or other white fish varieties, cut into small chunks
250ml Thick Coconut Milk
2 Eggs, Lightly Beaten
2 Heap Tablespoons of Rice Flour
6-8 Kaffir Lime Leaves, Finely Julienne (I find it easier to use scissors to snip)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Salt
For The Rempah
15 Shallots, Peeled and Sliced
5 Cloves of Garlic, Peeled and Sliced
5-6 Fresh Red Chilies, Seeds Removed and Sliced (for more heat, leave the seeds on)
10-12 Dried Red Chilies, Soaked in hot water until soften and drain
Thumb-Length Knob of Lengkuas (Galangal), peeled and sliced finely
Thumb Length Knob of Fresh Kunyit (Fresh Turmeric), peeled and sliced finely
3 Batons of Serai (Lemongrass), lower white portion only, sliced finely
2 Teaspoon of Toasted Belacan (Dried Shrimp Paste), crushed coarsely into powder
1. To prepare rempah, pound or blend all the ingredients into a fine paste.
2. To prepare otak-otak filling, place all custard paste ingredients and rempah in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Cover the mixing bowl with clingfilm and leave to marinate.
4. Place 2-3 pieces of daun kadok as the base and scoop generously 2-3 tablespoons of marinated otak-otak filling over the leaves.
5. Bring up the two longer sides of the banana leaf and with the other hand, fold over the shorter end of the piece to meet in the centre and repeat for the other side. Fasten parcel with a toothpick.
6. Repeat procedure until all the ingredients and banana leaves are used up.
7. In a pan with a lid add in the parcels, and then add some water and cover. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes and keep topping up water to ensure steam in the pan.
8. Once cooked, remove from heat and serve immediately.
Keywords: Otak Otak