Hainanese Chicken Rice
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
Here’s an all time favourite meal for many Malaysians, Hainanese Chicken Rice.
Try this recipe out for yourself and let us know what you think!
Click here to try our Loh Shi Fun recipe
1–2.5 Liters of Chicken Stock (Depends on the size of your pot and chicken)
2–3 Spring Onions
4 Cloves of Garlic
3 Inches of Ginger, Sliced
3 Dried Shitake Mushrooms
1 Whole Free Range Chicken (Room Temperature)
1 Large Bowl with Ice Water
For The Rice
Some Chicken Skin and Fat
2 Inches of Ginger, Sliced
2 Cloves of Garlic, Chopped
1 Tablespoon of Gluten Free Soy Sauce
4 Cups of Basmati Rice
9 Cups of Chicken Broth
For The Chili Sauce:
To Be Blended
1 Small Shallot
4 Cloves of Garlic
3 Fresh Red Chilies
4 Inches of Ginger
1 Tablespoon of Salt
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
For The Soy Sauce:
2 Tablespoons of Oyster Sauce
1/4 Cup of Light Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Sesame Oil
Some White Pepper
Some Chicken Broth
- In a pot, add in the chicken stock along with your spring onions, shitake mushrooms, garlic, ginger, and salt. Bring that to a boil and once it starts boiling add in the whole chicken.
- Let that bubble away. Once it starts bubbling, close it with a lid and let it bubble for about 15 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Then, turn the fire off and set it aside and leave it in the pot, covered for another 15 minutes.
- Then to make the rice, In a pan add it some chicken skin and fat with some oil and fry that up. Add in the ginger and chopped up garlic and stir that around.
- Next, add in the light soy sauce and the washed basmati rice. Keep stirring that over low-medium heat until you start hearing the rice crackle, that would mean that it is drying up.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the rice into your rice pot and add in the chicken broth. Stir that around and put it into the rice cooker to cook.
- To make the chili sauce, in a pot, add in some oil and your blended items. Stir it around and season it with some salt, sugar and apple cider vinegar.
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes and set aside into a bowl
- To Make the Soy Sauce, in a bowl, add in the oyster sauce, light soy sauce, sesame oil and season with some salt, sugar, and white pepper. Add in 2 ladles chicken broth and stir until all is combined.
- Now to prep the chicken, remove it from the pot and place it into the bowl with ice and let it chill in there for 5 minutes
- Then remove it from the ice bath, and place your chicken onto the cutting board. Cut the chicken into your desired size.
- Place it onto a plate and and drizzle over some of the soy sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Asian
- Method: Intermidiate
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Hainanese Chicken Rice