Ayam Masak Merah
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 5-6 1x
Ayam Masak Merah is a traditional Malay dish that is usually served at functions alongside Tomato Rice .
It’s super delicious and has a little spiciness to it! Try this recipe out for yourself and let us know what you think
1 Whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
1 Tablespoon of Tumeric Powder
2–3 Inches Ginger
5–6 Fresh Red Chilies
2–3 Birds Eyes Chili
2 Stalks of Lemongrass
2–3 Kaffir Lime Leaves
1 can Tomato Puree
1 Fresh Tomatoes
Salt and Sugar
1) In a bowl, put in all the chopped chicken. Marinate the chicken evenly with salt and turmeric powder. Set aside.
2) Blitz together the onions, garlic, fresh red chilies and birds eye chili.
3) Grind the ginger and smash the lemongrass with the back of a knife.
4) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown the chicken in the hot oil until golden on all sides. Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside.
5) Remove the oil from the skillet, leaving about 2 tablespoons. Cook and stir the chili paste with ginger until fragrant.
6) Add in the tomato puree and stir in some water,adding more if needed.
7) Add in the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves and bring to a boil.
8) add in all the chicken, salt and sugar and let it simmer until the chicken is fully cooked and lastly toss in the tomatoes and cook for another 5 mins. Serve hot.
You could choose to even add in some green peas to this Ayam Masak Merah Dish. Add in some sliced onions just about 2 minutes before the dish is cooked to add a slight crunch to your Ayam Masak Merah dish
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Poultry
- Method: Intermidiate
- Cuisine: Malay
Keywords: Ayam Masak Merah