Here we’ve made some Wanton Mee, another all time favourite by many Malaysians. Have this with our Wanton Soup for a complete feast!
Try this recipe out for yourself and let us know what you think.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Category: Quick
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Chinese
To Make The Pickles
3 Green Chilies, Sliced
1/2 Cup of Water
1/2 Cup of Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Salt
To Make The Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons of Dark Caramel Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Light Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil or Shallot Oil
Some White Pepper, Sugar and Salt
For The Noodles
A Pot of Boiling Water
Fresh Wanton Noodles
Some Chinese Vegetables
Some Leftover Chicken, Shredded
A Poached Egg
- To make the pickles, pour in the water into a small pot and bring it to a boil. Then, add in the vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir and turn off the heat. Place the chilies into a jar and pour over the liquid into the jar. Set aside.
- Then To make the Soy Sauce, In a bowl combine the thick caramel soy sauce, light soy sauce, vegetable oil, white pepper, sugar and salt. Mix well and set it aside.
- For the noodles, bring a pot of water to boil. Put in your noodle strainer into the pot and place in 1 portion of the noodles. Stir it around to separate the noodles so that it doesn’t stick.
- Bring the water up to a boil again. The noodles should be cooked in about 30-40 seconds. Make sure not to overcook the noodles as it can get mushy.
- Once cooked, take it out of the hot water and place it straight into some cold water, also known as a cold bath to cool the noodles down so it doesn’t cook anymore.
- Then in the same boiling water, throw in your chinese vegetable, we used bak choy. And stir it around until it is cooked. Once cooked, remove from the boiling water and set aside.
- To assemble, in a plate, pour about 2-3 spoons of the soy sauce first before placing the drained noodles onto the plate. Then drizzle a little bit more soy sauce onto the noodles and garnish with the vegetables, shredded chicken, a poached egg and the pickled chilies.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: Wanton Mee