6 large arrowroot bulbs, peeled
2 Chinese preserved pork sausages
2 chinese preserved liver sausages
1 large piece dried barbecuqued pork (bakwa)
1 homemade wax chicken leg (see recipe below)
50g of dried shrimp
3 tbsp of cooking oil
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 cups of jasmine rice, rinsed once and drained well with fine strainer
3 cups of water
Seasonings – combined:
2 tbsp of light soy sauce
2 tbsp of dark sweet soy sauce (kicap manis)
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1 tbsp of Shao Hsing Wine
3 stalks of Spring Onions, Chopped for garnishing
1. Preparation: Cut arrowroot lengthwise into quarters and soak in salted water till ready to use. Soak both types of preserved sausages in hot water in a deep dish till the casings start to separate. Remove casings. Slice pork sausages diagonally. Slice liver sausages vertically into thick chunks to prevent breakage. Cut bakwa into 2 cm squares. Slice waxed chicken leg. Soak dried shrimps in hot water for 30 minutes, till soft. Drain.
2. Heat up cooking oil in a wok. Stir fry garlic till fragrant. Add dried shrimp and fry till slightly crispy. Add in arrowroot and fry till fragrant.
3. Add rice and combined seasonings. Stir fry to mix till well combined.
4. Gently fold in the preserved sausages, bakwa and waxed chicken.
5. Transfer everything to a rice cooker with water. Cook until done.
6. Fluff up rice and ingredients gently with a fork.
7. Serve hot in bowls, garnished with spring onions.
8. Homemade Waxed Chicken Recipe: Clean 2 large whole chicken legs thoroughly, trim off any surplus fat, but leave the skins on. Pat dry thoroughly with kitchen paper towels. Rub all over with 2 tbsp fine salt including beneath the skin. Place on a rack over a plate and refrigerate for 24 hours. Transfer chicken to a deep casserole, pour in cooking oil to cover completely. Cover casserole with aluminium foil. Bake in a preheated 100 deg C oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool completely without removing foil. When cold transfer chicken and oil to an airtight container and cover. Make sure chicken is fully immersed in oil. Keep chilled for up to 2 days till ready to use. Otherwise, keep in the freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to use, remove chicken from oil, and slice.
Keywords: Treasure Fragrant Rice