An all time favorite breakfast staple amongst Malaysians, Roti Canai is that one thing that we can never refuse! Easy to make though a little time consuming, we promise it’s worth it! Check out our Roti Canai recipe and let us know what you think! Pair this Roti Canai with our Malaysian Chicken Curry!
- Prep Time: 4 Hours
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 4 Hours
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Intermidiate
- Cuisine: Indian
To Be Mixed Together 1/2 Cup of Milk 1 Egg 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt 1 Tablespoon of Sugar 1 Tablespoon of Oil To Make The Roti Canai Dough 700g of Wheat Flour 1/4 Cup of Planta/Margarine 1/4 Cup of Water To Add To The Dough 4 Tablespoons of Planta/Margarine 4 Tablespoons of Oil
- In a bowl, add in the milk, egg, salt, sugar, and oil. Mix it together until well combined.
- In an electric mixer, add in the wheat flour and turn on the mixer on low speed. Start pouring in the milk mixture bit by bit.
- Add in the planta/margarine and water in whilst the mixer in still on. Alternate between the margarine and water. Make sure to add it in little at a time to ensure the mixture is well combined.
- Continue to knead it using the mixer for about 8 minutes or until the dough becomes smooth.
- Once smooth, turn off the mixer and set the dough aside.
- Get a clean countertop and spread out some floor on it before placing the dough on top. Spreading flour on the countertop ensures the dough does not stick to the table.
- Start rolling the roti canai dough and then divide it into tennis size balls. Grab some planta/margarine and start kneading it into the individual balls to form a nice round and smooth ball.
- Set the divided doughs aside into a bowl that has been lined with planta/margarine and slater on more planta/margarine onto the doughs.
- Cling wrap the bowl and set aside. Let it rest for 4-5 hours .
- Mix together some oil and planta to add to the dough later.
- Once the dough has been resting for 4-5 hours, place an individual ball onto the countertop and using the palm of your hand, spread some of the oil and planta mixture onto the dough and push out the dough to stretch it out.
- Start pulling the sides of the dough to stretch it out until the dough becomes slightly translucent.
- Once that is done, drizzle more planta and oil mixture on top then fold it over into a square. Pick it up and swirl it into a disc and top it off with more of the oil mixture. Repeat until all the individual balls has been rolled out.
- Once all that is done, it’s ready to be cooked.
- Heat up a flat pan over medium heat, and using the palm of your hand again, spread out the roti canai to flatten it and make it wider. Place the roti canai onto the pan and drizzle o some of the oil planta mixture onto the pan.
- Cook until crispy before flipping it over. Repeat until all the dough has been cooked.
- Once cooked, remove the roti from the pan and smash it together with both the palm of your hands to fluff it up. Proceed with caution as the roti will be hot!
- Serve hot with a side dish of your choice and enjoy!
This Roti Canai recipe can also be made gluten free, just replace the wheat floor with some gluten free floor.
Keywords: Roti Canai