A yummy and comforting bowl of Tomato Rice is the way to go!
A perfect dish to have when you’re short on time, or just want to have something simple to eat. This meal is so good, it could even be eaten on its own. Try it out for yourself and let us know what you think!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Grains
- Method: Intermidiate
- Cuisine: Indian
1 cup of Long Grained Rice, Soaked in Water
2 Medium Sized Tomatoes, Chopped
1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste
1cm of Ginger and 2 Cloves of Garlic, Ground to a paste
2 Onions, Finely Chopped
1/2 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
1 Teaspoon of Brown Mustard Seeds
1 1/2 Teaspoons of Coriander Seeds
1 Teaspoon of Fenugreek Seeds
2 Bay Leaves
4 Dry Red Chillies , Cut into 3 and Deseeded
2 Tablespoons of Ghee
Salt To Taste
Spring onions and sliced shallots
1. In heavy bottom pot, heat up the ghee up, add the spices (mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and coriander seeds) and fry them for a few minutes.
2. Add in the sliced onions, dried chillies along with the garlic and ginger paste and fry until brown before adding turmeric powder and bay leaves.
3. Once the onions are brown, add the chopped tomatoes to it and tomato paste. Mix well before adding the drained washed rice with salt and mix well
4. Add in 1.5 cup water and stir before covering and leaving the rice to cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.
5. Once cooked, garnish with fried shallots and chopped spring onions
Add more dried chilli to this if you’re looking for something spicier. But believe us when we say that this is already amazing without the added spiciness!
Keywords: Tomato Rice