Pulicha Keerai Recipe
Pulicha Keerai is a delicious Indian dish made up of Sour Leaves that come from Roselle. This warm and comforting dish was shared by Ili Sulaiman’s Mother In Law and we promise you it’s so yummy! Try it for yourself and let us know what you think. Click here to try our Pumpkin Curry Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 4-6 Pax
- Category: Healthy
- Method: Intermediate
- Cuisine: Indian
To Be Blanched 500g of Sour Leaf/Roselle, Soaked in Salt Water and Rinsed 1 Liter of Water Salt To Be Blended 1 Medium Size Brinjal, Roughly Chopped 1 Medium Size Onion, Roughly Chopped 1 Inch Of Ginger, Sliced 1 Tomato, Roughly Chopped 2 Green Chilies, Chopped 2 Dried Chilies 4 Cloves of Garlic, Peeled 1 Okra, Sliced 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil 1 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder 1 Teaspoon of Salt To Be Cooked 1 Teaspoon of Coconut Oil 1 Teaspoon of Mix Spice (Mustard seeds, Fennel, Cumin & Fenugreek Seeds) 2 Dried Chilies, Chopped 1 Medium Size Onion, Roughly Chopped 1 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder 1 Tomato, Chopped 1 Teaspoon of Salt 1/2 Cup of Ikan Bilis / Dried Anchovies 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil
- Firstly, in a big bowl full of water , add in the sour leaves (leaves only) and some salt. Let that sit in the water for about 5-10 minutes before rinsing it twice to remove any sediments from the leaves.
- Then, in a pot, boil about 1 liter of water with some salt. Add in the rinsed sour leaves and blanch until it turns slightly brown.
- Remove the blanched leaves and drain it from the pot. Place the leaves into a bowl along with 1 cup of cold filtered water and mix it around for it to cool down.
- Roughly chop all the fresh ingredients (Brinjal, Onion, Ginger, Tomato, Green Chilies, Dry Chilies , Garlic and Okra ) and set aside.
- In a pan, add in about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and fry up the dried chilis, green chilies and okra. Mix them around before adding in the brinjal, onions, garlic and ginger.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of Turmeric Powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and the chopped tomatoes. Mix around and cook until the brinjal gets soft.
- Once the brinjals soften up, add in the blanched sour leaves. Mix them until combined.
- Once combined, removed it from the heat and place it into a bowl.
- Mash it up using a spoon and add in 1 cup of water.
- Then, place it all into a blender, and blend it until it reaches a slightly chunky consistency. Make sure not to blend until it is too smooth.
- Then in a pan, add in about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and fry up the mix spices. Add in the dried chilies and onions. Fry until fragrant before adding in the turmeric powder and chopped tomatoes.
- Mix it around before adding in 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Push all the ingredients to the side of the pan and add in more coconut oil. Add in the ikan bilis and fry it until cooked.
- Once cooked, mix all the ingredients in the pan together before pouring in the blended paste.
- Add in 1/2 cup of reserved water to the blender and pour that into the mixture. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Once it’s done, remove from the heat and serve along side some cooked rice.
Soaking the leaves in salt water beforehand is important as it removes any sediment and insects that may be on the leaves. Make sure you rinse it after.
Keywords: Pulicha Keerai