All things round signify perfection and coming full circle, meaning reunion of all the family members during Chinese New Year. Glutinous rice balls in a sweet ginger soup is normally served on the 22nd of December to celebrate the winter solstice. However I decided to fry up a savory version for Chinese New Year and it has become a fond family favourite 😍
For more Chinese New Year recipes, click here.
150g glutinous rice flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
120 ml water
More Water for cooking
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
2 shallots – finely chopped
4 large dried shiitake mushrooms – soaked and sliced
1 tablespoon Shao Hsing wine (optional)
200g roast meat (roast chicken or duck or pork), sliced
150g chive flowers
Seasoning – premix
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon white pepper powder
1 tablespoon water
Red chili strips for garnishing
Glutinous rice balls
1. Combine glutinous rice flour with salt and water. Mix with chopsticks then knead into a smooth dough.
2. Form dough into balls, 8-10g each. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, roll in the balls and cook over medium heat till they float up . Dish up with a strainer and set aside.
3. Heat oil in wok and sauté chopped garlic and shallots till light golden.
4. Toss in mushrooms, fry over high heat till slightly browned. Splash in wine.
5. Add in meat and chive flowers, stir fry for 3 minutes to combine.
6. Add seasoning premix, glutinous rice balls and stir fry for 1 minute.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 8. Dish up, garnish and serve hot for a perfect reunion!
1. The key to a good wok aroma is high heat and quick tossing during stir frying.
2. Glutinous rice flour by Erawan 3 elephants brand is preferred
3. Chinese festive culture and diet is typically non halal so I’ve given alternative roast meats for the benefit of halal foodies.
Keywords: Perfect Reunion