Nasi Lemak is Malaysia’s national dish. Consisting of so many flavors that we Malaysians love! This Nasi Lemak recipe is super easy to make and so delicious.
Try it out for yourself and let us know what you think!
Have this Nasi Lemak with our delicious Beef Rendang
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Yield: 3-4
- Category: Malaysian
- Method: Intermidiate
- Cuisine: Malay
For the Rice
2 Cups of Rice (washed and rinsed)
2 Tablespoons of Organic Coconut Oil
3 Inches of Ginger
1 Stick Lemongrass
1 Tablespoon of Salt
2 to 3 Cups of Water (2 if you’re using coconut milk and 3 if you’re using coconut powder)
1/2 Packet or 1 Cup Coconut Milk
For the Side Dishes
4 Eggs – Fried or Hard Boil
1 Cup of Peanuts (Toasted)
1 Cup of Dry Anchovies (Deep Fried until Crispy)
1 Cucumber, Sliced
For The Sambal
8 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
To Be Blended:
3 to 4 Medium Size Shallots
6 Cloves of Garlic
1 Inch of Ginger
1 Red Onion, Sliced
1/2 Teaspoon of Belacan (Shrimp Paste)
1 1/2 Cup of Dried Chili Paste (Chili Giling)
1 Tamarind Slice
1 Cup of Water
Sugar and Salt to Taste
1. In a large saucepan, add in coconut oil and place the ginger and lemongrass and fry for a minute before adding the washed rice. Stir fry the rice for about 5 minutes before seasoning with salt. Once the rice starts popping, turn the fire off.
2. Transfer the rice into a rice cooker and add in the water and coconut milk/powder. Stir until combined and set to cook.
3. In the same pan, add in the vegetable oil and fry eggs, peanuts and ikan bilis(anchovies) until crispy and brown. remove and set aside. Do not discard the oil.
4. In the same pan, add in the blended items along with the belacan and fry for 8 to 10 minutes until mixture has reduced and becomes darker.
5. Next add in the chili paste, some water along with the tamarind slice and continue to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. Season with some sugar and salt and add in the sliced onions right at the end
6. To serve, place rice onto a plate, garnish with fired anchovies, peanuts, egg, sambal and some sliced cucumber. Serve immediately.
When making the sambal, make sure to cook it over low-medium heat to make all the sweetness for the onions come out!
Keywords: Nasi Lemak