1. In a mixing bowl add mutton, turmeric powder, chili powder, and salt. Rub well to mutton pieces. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
2. For masala paste: In a blender add shallots, garlic cloves, ginger, green chili, red chili, grated coconut, mint leaves, coriander leaves and coriander powder. Add little water and grind to a paste.Your masala paste is ready to keep aside.
3. In a pot, heat ghee and oil . Add the whole spices (cinnamon, cardamom pods, clove, bay leaves). Add the thinly sliced onions and saute till it turns a brown color.
4. Then add tomatoes and saute for few minutes. Now add the grounded masala paste and saute for few minutes.Add the mutton pieces and salt. Mix well before adding water, coriander leaves, mint leaves and change the setting to soup
5. Once mutton is cooked check for seasoning before adding soaked basmati rice and cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is fluffy and cooked.