Malaysian Beef Pie
Here we made a super delicious pie, but we made it Malaysian! Using rendang paste from AYA Real Food, this pie has the perfect mix of spices ! Try this recipe out for yourself and let us know what you think.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes`
- Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hour 40 Minutes
- Yield: 3-4
- Category: Meat
- Method: Intermidiate
- Cuisine: Fusion
250 – 500g AYA Real Food Gillies Rendang Packet
2 Tablespoons of Oil
1 Large White Onion, Peeled and Chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, Chopped
2 Inches of Ginger, Grated
1kg Braising Beef, Chopped into Bite-Sized Chunks
2 Tablespoons of Plain/All-Purpose Flour
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
600ml of Hot Beef Stock (Hot water plus 2 stock cubes is fine) OR 1 Tablespoon of Bovril and some water
2 Cups of Mushrooms of your choice (large chunks)
½ Teaspoon of Salt
½ Teaspoon of Pepper
1 Egg, Lightly Whisked
2 x 320g Packets of Ready-Rolled Shortcrust pastry
1. Heat the oil in an large casserole dish and brown the beef and season with salt and pepper on all sides for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside
2. Next add in a little more oil and add in the onions . Cook on a medium-low heat for 5 minutes before adding the ginger and garlic and fry for a few minutes before adding the cooked beef
3. Sprinkle the flour on all the beef and then mix well. Next add in the mushroom give it a stir and then add the Gillies Rendang Paste and beef stock. Simmer on a low heat for about 1.5 hour.
4.Once the beef is tender and your can use your fork to shred it, let it cool for a bit before assembling your pie
6. Take a circular pie dish, add in a generous amount of filling and then add on your pastry on top. Cut off any excess pastry and brush the top of the pie all over with the egg wash. If you have any little holes in the top of the pie, you can use the excess pastry to make a couple of little leaves to cover it up. Eggwash the whole pastry
7.Use a knife to pierce a couple of holes in the center of the pie – this is to allow any steam to escape.
8. Place the pie in the oven at 190C for 25-35 minutes until golden brown.
You can replace the short crust pastry with puff pastry instead. It will be just as good !
Keywords: Malaysian Beef Pie