Durian Walnut Cup Cakes
Our Durian Walnut Cup Cakes make great breakfast treats. The aromatic durian coupled with buttery, nutty walnut flavour will surely satisfy sweet hunger pangs! Make up a batch the night before and keep in an airtight container. You will be ready to serve next morning with piping hot mugs of coffee or tea.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 12 -16
- Category: Festive
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Fusion
220g salted butter
200g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
150g mashed durian puree
2 -3 tbsp fresh milk
220g self raising flour
1 tsp soda bicarbonate
100g walnuts – lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 17o deg C (fan), 180 deg C (gas). Line 12 – 16 cup cake moulds with cup cake cases.
- Cream butter and sugar on high speed till light, fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Combine durian puree with 2 tbsp milk. Add this to the butter mixture and beat on low speed to combine well.
- Sift flour with soda bicarbonate. Gradually fold flour mixture into butter mixture by hand. Add 1 tbsp milk if mixture looks too dry.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared cup cake cases till 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with chopped walnuts.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes, or till golden brown. Insert a wooden skewer into the cake center. It should come out clean.
- Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.
After mashing the durian flesh, pass it through a sieve to remove the durian fibers. This will ensure a smooth durian puree. If you do not have cupcake molds, you can also use stiff muffin paper cases which can hold the cake mixture on their own.